Russian arrested in Spain ‘over US election hacking’

Donald Trump on the campaign

Mr Levashov’s arrest relates to alleged “hacking” of the US election last year

Spanish police have arrested a Russian programmer for alleged involvement in “hacking” the US election, Spanish press reports have said.

Pyotr Levashov, arrested on 7 April in Barcelona, has now been remanded in custody.

A “legal source” also told the AFP news agency that Mr Levashov was the subject of an extradition request by the US.

The request is due to be examined by Spain’s national criminal court, the agency added.

El Confidencial, a Spanish news website, has said that Mr Levashov’s arrest warrant was issued by US authorities over suspected “hacking” that helped Donald Trump’s campaign.

Mr Levashov’s wife Maria also told Russian broadcaster RT that the arrest was made in connection with such allegations.

Several cybersecurity experts, including Brian Krebs, have also linked Mr Levashov to a Russian spam kingpin, who uses the alias Peter Severa.

Intelligence report

A US intelligence report released in January alleged that Russian President Vladimir Putin tried to help Mr Trump to victory.

Mr Trump later commented that the outcome of the election had not been affected.

The report said that Russia’s objectives were to “undermine public faith” in the US democratic process and “denigrate” Mr Trump’s Democrat rival Hillary Clinton.

Russia’s efforts to this end allegedly included hacking into email accounts used by the Democratic National Committee; using intermediaries such as WikiLeaks to release hacked information; and funding social media users or “trolls” to make nasty comments.

However, there were no details of Mr Putin’s alleged involvement with such interference in the report.

Mr Putin has strongly denied allegations that Russia tried to influence the US election.

Comments

Christian

(April 12, 2017 - 9:13 am)

BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN! http://www.BoycottBitches.com I am an American man, and I have decided to boycott American women. In a nutshell, American women are the most likely to cheat on you, to divorce you, to get fat, to steal half of your money in the divorce courts, don’t know how to cook or clean, don’t want to have children, etc. Therefore, what intelligent man would want to get involved with American women? American women are generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant and self-centered, mentally unstable, irresponsible, and highly unchaste. The behavior of most American women is utterly disgusting, to say the least. This blog is my attempt to explain why I feel American women are inferior to foreign women (non-American women), and why American men should boycott American women, and date/marry only foreign (non-American) women.

Kiersten

(April 23, 2017 - 4:48 am)

It’s approprite tjme tto mke soime plazns ffor thhe future annd itt
    iss tme too bbe happy. I’ve read this polst annd iif I couuld I wabt to sugget yoou somme interesting thkngs or advice.

Maybe youu ccan write nest articles referrinng tto this article.

I desre too rewd moore hings aboyt it! I havve beenn broowsing oline
    more thann 3 hors ass of late, bbut I nefer discoered anny attention-grabbing artijcle likee
    yours. It iss lopvely worfh suffjcient forr me.
    Personally, iif all wbmasters andd blogvers madee goodd contwnt aas
    yoou did, the neet mighgt bbe a loot mor uweful thqn ever before.
    Ahaa, itss pleasant discussion oon the topikc of thyis paragraph here
    aat thks weblog, I hhave reqd alll that,
    sso aat thijs time mme akso coommenting att tuis place.

Celina

(April 27, 2017 - 5:55 am)

Spot on with this write-up, I really feel this amazing site
    needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the advice! http://shzhyw.com/comment/html/index.php?page=1&id=63750

Elliot

(April 27, 2017 - 4:25 pm)

Hi would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m going to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a difficult time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m
    looking for something unique. P.S Sorry for
    getting off-topic but I had to ask!

psychic online

(April 28, 2017 - 9:57 am)

I do believe all the ideas you have presented for your article.
    They’re very powerful and can certainly work.
    Still, the posts are quite quick for newbies. Many thanks for the
    post.

Alex

(May 14, 2017 - 1:41 am)

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it,
    you happen to be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and will often come back
    later on. I want to encourage that you continue your great work,
    have a nice weekend!

antalya escort

(May 30, 2017 - 3:20 am)

ᕼі therе it’s me, I am аlso visiting this web site on a regular basis, tɦis site iѕ
    really goοd аnd tһe viewers ɑre genuinely sharing gooɗ thoսghts. http://www.timecode.org/