‘Keep calm and carry on’ – the British mantra encouraging us to continue in the face of uncertainty.
And Brexit certainly hasn’t derailed Britain’s richest business tycoons from hard work, with the UK’s richest 1,000 people increasing their value by 14%, to a record £658billion this year.
The Sunday Times Rich List 2017 included a record number of British billionaires, 134, with an additional 14 emerging over the last year – BBC News reports. Fifteen years ago, there were only 21 UK-based billionaires on the Rich List.
Topping this year’s list were brothers Sri and Gopi Hinduja, who invest in property, healthcare and oil and gas, with wealth of £16.2billion – up £3.2billion on 2016.
Another of this year’s biggest risers is Sir James Dyson, with his fortune increasing to £7.8billion — up from £5billion last year. Other strong climbers include the Bet365 founder, Denise Coates, who has become the highest-paid woman in corporate history, and Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea football club – The Times reports.
Singer Adele was also spotted on the list, with assets worth £125million. Newbies on the list also included Scottish DJ Calvin Harris and EL James, the author of Fifty Shades of Grey.
The threshold to enter the Rich List’s top 1,000 this year has risen to £110million – double the entry level of 2009.
List compiler, Robert Watts said: “While many of us worried about the outcome of the EU referendum, many of Britain’s richest people just kept calm and carried on making billions.”
He accounted the surge in wealth to a revived stock market.
However, it wasn’t all pockets full of sunshine for some, with Mike Ashley, boss of the embroiled Sports Direct, and Sir Philip Green, the man who sold BHS for one pound jointly down more than £700million.The top 20 UK’s richest – including wealth and industry – are listed below:
- Sri and Gopi Hinduja £16,200m Industry, Finance
- Len Blavatnik £15,982m Investment, Music, Media
- David and Simon Reuben £14,000m Property, Internet
- Lakshmi Mittal and family £13,229m Steel
- Alisher Usmanov £11,791m Mining, Investment
- Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli £11,500m Pharmaceuticals
- Guy, George and Galen Jr Weston and family £10,50 Retailing
- Kirsten and Jorn Rausing £9,660m Inheritance, Investment
- The Duke of Westminster and the Grosvenor family £9,520m Property
- Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken and Michel de Carvalho £9,300m Inheritance, Brewing, Banking
- Hans Rausing and family £9,250m Packaging
- John Fredriksen and family £8,057m Shipping, Oil services
- Roman Abramovich £8,053m Industry, Oil
- Sir James Dyson and family £7,800m Household goods, Technology
- Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay £7,200m Property, Media, Internet retailing
- Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber and family £6,763m Hotels, Food, Industry
- Earl Cadogan and family £6,500m Property
- Jim Ratcliffe £5,750m Chemicals
- Nicky Oppenheimer and family £5,534m Mining, Diamonds
- Carrie and Francois Perrodo and family £5,176m Oil, Gas, Wine
290 total views, 2 views today