An Afghan soldier opened fire at a base in the north. Pictured: Soldiers outside the base in April
An Afghan soldier has attacked foreign troops at a military base, with a number of US soldiers wounded.
The attack took place at a base in the north of the country on Saturday, an official confirmed to the BBC.
However, a spokesman for the US military command, based in the capital Kabul, dismissed earlier reports American soldiers had been killed.
They did say an unspecified number had been wounded when the Afghan soldier opened fire at Camp Shaheen.
The Nato-led Resolute Support mission said one Afghan soldier was killed and one was injured in the incident, which took place at about 14:00 local time (09:30 GMT).
The camp, in the northern city of Mazar-e Sharif, Balkh province, is the base of the 209th Corps.
The attack comes a week after an Afghan army commando shot dead three US special forces soldiers in eastern Afghanistan.
The Taliban claimed to be behind that attack.
The Taliban also said they were behind another attack in Mazar-e Sharif in April, when more than 100 Afghan soldiers were killed or wounded at the base.
The army said insurgents targeted those leaving Friday prayers at the base’s mosque and others in a canteen.
95 total views, 3 views today